old-church-altar.jpg
IMG-20210528-WA0006.jpg

Our History

A small group of residents from Hialeah-Miami Springs gathered together in the year of 1941 to organize their mission to pray and hopefully build a Catholic Church and school in this area. The money the they profited from enabled the Mission to lease the Palm Theater for Sunday morning mass. In February of 1942, the mass was celebrated for the first time in the Palm Theater at 9:30 A.M.  and each and every Sunday thereafter. The Most Reverend Bishop Joseph P. Hurley appointed Father Lawrence J. Flynn to organize the new parish of St. John the Apostle in November of 1945. 

     

 

As St. John's parish started to  to grow and progress, a tract of ten acres on East Fourth Avenue was finally purchased to build a church and school. Ground breaking ceremonies were held in February of 1949 for the school, chapel-auditorium, rectory and convent. The convent was finished first and it was announced that we were going to have the Sisters of Mercy from Philadelphia as teachers.

     

 

In July of 1949, mass was offered for the first time in the new Church. The parish grew rapidly after that and many ministries and clubs were formed.

     

 

On January 22, 1950, the Most Reverend Thomas J. McDonough Auxiliary Bishop of St. Augustine celebrated a Pontifical Mass for the blessing and dedication of the School with Chapel-Auditorium, Rectory and Convent. The Chapel-Auditorium provided seating for 500 people and was connected directly with the school.

     

 

On February 8, 1952 our beloved founder was called to his heavenly reward and Fr. James Nelan succeeded as Administrator. In October of 1952, Fr. Peter Reilly was appointed Pastor of St. John's and served until 1959.

     

 

In March of 1960  Fr. James Connaughton was appointed Pastor. He introduced the "Tithing Program" and through his devoted efforts and spiritual prayers led us to our goal  "A New Church." Groundbreaking ceremonies were held in February of 1962 for the new church which has a seating capacity for 1200 people. St. John the Apostle was the First church to have its Baptistery outside of the church itself.
​


 

In 1969 -Fr. Thomas J. Rynne and Irish priest was appointed fourth pastor.


 


In 1982 - Fr. Paul Vuturo was appointed the fifth pastor and began a "Parish Renewal." He built the impressive marble presbytery and baptismal font.


 


In 1986, Fr. George Gacia, a cuban priest, was appointed the sixth pastor. Under his leadership new spiritual programs were implemented.



 

On June 16, 1992, Archbishop Edward McCarthy appointed Fr. Emilio Martin, a priest from spain, seventh pastor of St. John. He had served as Associate Pastor of the parish in 1964 and again in 1968.



 

Fr. Martin retired in 2010 and Msgr. Oscar Castaneda was named Pastor. He was succeeded in August 2013 by our current Pastor Fr. Hector A. Perez.



 

The tradition of previous pastors continues, emphasizing pastoral programs and ministries allows members to participate in the life of the Church. This is what makes the parish of St. John the Apostle a joyful Christian community. 
    

Nuestra Historia

Un pequño grupo de residents de Hialeah y Miami Springs se reunió en el año 1941 con el fin de organizar su Misión de orar con las esperanzas de construir una Iglesia y Escuela Católica en esta área. Con ayuda espiritual y devotas oraciones, la Misión creció con las numerosas donaciones y eventos para recaudar fondos. Con el dinero recaudado, la Misión contrató al Palm Theater para la misa del domingo. En Febrero del 1942, la misa fue celebrada por primera vez en el Palm Theater a las 9:30 A.m. y todos los domingos de ahí en adelante. El Reverendísimo, Obispo Joseph P Hurley designó al Padre Lawrence J. Flynn para organizar la Parroquia de Dan Juan Apóstol en Noviembre de 1945.
 
Mediante su dirección espiritual y amor, la Parroquia de San Juan empezó a crecer y progresar, una región de diez acres en la Avenida cuarta del Este fue finalmente comprada para hacer una iglesia y escuela. Se levantó la primera piedra en Febrero de 1949 para la escuela, capilla/auditorio y convento. El convento fue terminado primero cuando el Padre Flynn anuncio que tendríamos a las Hermana de las Mercedes de Filadelfia como profesoras.
 
En Julio de 1949, se celebró la primera misa en la Iglesia nueva. La parroquia creció rápidamente después de eso y varios grupos y ministerios se formaron.
 
En Enero 22 de 1950 el Reverendísimo Thomas J. McDonough, Obispo Auxiliar de San Agustín, celebró una Misa Pontificia para la bendición y dedicación de la Escuela, Capilla/Auditorio, Rectoría, y Convento. La Capilla/Auditorio tenía capacidad para sentar 500 personas y colindaba con la escuela.
 
El 8 de Febrero de 1952 el Padre Flynn nuestro querido fundador fue llamado a su Divina Recompensa y la Parroquia sufrió una gran pérdida con su partida. El Padre James Nelan lo sucedió como administrador. En Octubre de 1952, el Padre Peter Reilly fue nombrado pastor y ejerció hasta 1959.
 
En Marzo de 1960 el Padre James Connaughton fue nombrado pastor. En el 1961 introdujo el Programa “Tithing” (El diesmo) a la parroquia. Su dedicación y sus oraciones espirituales nos guiaron a la consecución de una “nueva iglesia.” En Febrero de 1962, se levantó la primera piedra para la nueva iglesia con la capacidad para 1200 personas. San Juan el Apóstol fue la primera Iglesia en tener el Bautisterio afuera
 
En 1969 – Padre Tomas J. Rynne un sacerdote Irlandés fue nombrado el cuarto párroco.
 
En 1982 –Padre Paul Vuturo fue nombrado el quinto pastor quien construye el impresionante presbiterio de mármol y la pila bautismal.
 
En 1986, Padre George Garcia, un sacerdote Cubano, fue nombrado el sexto pastor y comienza una etapa de renovación espiritual.
 
El 16 de Junio de 1992, Arzobispo Edward McCarthy nombro al Padre Emilio Martin, una sacerdote de España, el séptimo pastor de San Juan, Él había servido como asociado  en el 1964 y otras vez en el 1968.
 
El Padre Martin se retiró en el 2010 y Msgr. Oscar Cataneda se nombró pastor. El Padre Hector A. Perez lo sucedió en Agosto 2013 y es el pastor actual.
 
La tradición de pastores anteriores continúa, enfatizando los programas pastorales y los ministerios le permite a los miembros participar en la vida de la Iglesia. Esto es lo que hace que la parroquia de San Juan Apóstol sea una alegre comunidad cristiana.